Thursday, October 21, 2010

Job interview questions (2) -behavior and soft skills

First Part see: job interview questions (1)

 

16) How to handle interruption in work? 

Not all interruptions are negative. In our group, we always set up schedule via web before visiting. We encourage email communication and telephone communication. I always have 1 hour lunch time with my colleagues. We exchanged new thought in projects and new problem and questions.

17) How to handle competing deadline?
I always create a list of everything that I need or want to do and try to make it as all inclusive as possible. I ask myself how many things must be done right now. I rate the importance of each item relative to others in that group. I often update and review the to-do lists and check if time-lines are met and possible improvement.

18) Describe a difficult stakeholder experience you had to handle.
When I worked  at the XXXX company, I have a co-worker in my team not following the procedure and deadline well, which affect the team progress. I realize that the good communication and open discussion are important. I listened to him first to seek understanding why he is behind the schedule. I realized his knowledge is the main issue. We modify the workload and job description for him. Finally we finish the project on time. All of us are happy.



19) How to handle conflict in work?
I always do not take conflict as personal. I respect my colleague's
culture background. I am solution oriented and willingness to negotiate. In extreme case, I  ask a neutral third party to mediate and I am willing to back down. I do my best to minimize the impact of conflict and make work efficiently.  For example when I worked
in XXXX company, blah blah blah ......
(give an example)


20) What skills and personal qualities have you contributed to the teams?
I have good communication skills and also a good listener. I am always willing to share information, knowledge, and experience. I always cared about the team and team work. I treated others in a respectful and supportive manner. I am also a good problem solver.
(Show an example) .......


21) You have been long time working in Academia, why are you looking for a job in industry?
I have over 10 years software programming, data analysis and management in Academia. I am seeking a challenge role in industry.
My computing background in research and academia will supply unique supplementary to your company. If you are looking an innovative, bright and smart programmer, I am a right candidate. I understand  you company are product-oriented. But adding research-oriented component in your company will be helpful for your company long term growing.

No comments:

Post a Comment