Friday, January 21, 2011

Share files between Windows 7 and Windows XP


I have a Windows 7 and a Windows XP in my office local network. I setup to share files between these two computers.
Tips:
1) These two computers should have same work group name. I set it as JIANSEN-HOME.
2) The network setting in Windows 7 should be set as Work Network.
(Home network is used to set home group between two Windows 7)  
3) If you can see the remote computer, but can not see the share files in  it,  this may be
solved by set Firewall off.
Setting for Windows 7
1. Control Panel->->System
Advance System setting
Workgroup: WORKGROUP, change to the same work group name in Windows XP.
----------------------------------
2.Control Panel ->Network and Sharing Center
under view your active network, change it to work network.
3) in Home or work under Network and Sharing center
Turn on network discovery
Turn on file and printer sharing
Turn on sharing so anyone with network
caan read and write in public folders
turn off password protection
click my computer: network
----------------------------------------------------------------
Setting Windows XP.
1)Control Panel->->System
Advance System setting, check work group the same as in Windows 7.
2) Click My Computer, click setup home or small  network, following step by step,
set the group the same as in Windows 7.
3) Create a fold such as jiansen-share
right click mouse
select sharing and security
click sharing
Restart Windows 7 and XP to finish setup.

I also have a virtual box Windows server 2003 in my Windows XP.  The folder  C:\VMShare in Windows server 2003 shares with folder \\vboxsrv\VMShare in Windows XP. I  share this with my Windows 7.
So these 3 Windows share files each other.
Reference:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/share-files-and-printers-between-windows-7-and-xp/

No comments:

Post a Comment